The Savinelli story started in 1876 when Achille Savinelli Sr. opened one of the first stores in the world exclusively selling smoking articles, in the very center of Milan at via Orefici 2, near the famous Piazza Duomo. The small shop, which is still at its original location, soon became a meeting place where passionate smokers could exchange opinions and discuss experiences.
1948 saw the opening of the Savinelli factory/workshop, and the pipes produced there rapidly began gaining prestige in markets all over the world. Previous to the opening of the factory, millions of pipes had been exported worldwide from Italy, but the quality of such pipes was very poor. As a result, when Savinelli began the production it was seen as dubious how an Italian could compete with foreign brands. He did however succeed in making a luxury product that went head to head with the big names and even surpassed their quality of production, to the point where Savinelli has since become the mark of highest standard for pipes on a global basis.
Now in it's third generation of family management with the Great-Grandson of the founder at the helm, Savinelli is modernizing while staying true to their hand-crafted heritage.