Phone +1 855 439 4881
All orders over $79 have complementary delivery in the USA and Canada with express options available at checkout.
You may also select to pick-up any order at the Average Showroom — located at 1081 Queen St. W. in Toronto — during checkout at no charge.
International shipping is calculated at checkout.
Average Archive orders are only available for delivery in Toronto or pickup.
For orders placed in Canada, customers will be subject to their Provincial and Federal sales taxes at checkout. Orders are not subject to any customs as the shipment is not leaving Canada.
Orders placed in the USA are shipped with pre-payed customs. You may still be subject to local sales taxes.
Customers outside of the USA and Canada will not be charged customs or taxes by Average. All prices shown are ex-VAT. Customers are subject to all local taxes, duties and import charges per their local jurisdiction.
Standard items (not Special Order) can be returned via mail or in-store within 14 days of purchase provided the items are packaged and unused.
Special Order items, Archive items, items marked down, personal care and bath products are all final sale.
A chair whose frame, seat and back consist completely of moulded wood was to be the first production furniture item jointly developed by Egon Eiermann and Wilde + Spieth. The SE 42 is a three-legged wooden chair which stands out from the masses thanks to its distinctive lines and exclusive workmanship.
- Egon Eiermann, Germany (1949)
- Made in Germany
- Laminated beech veneer, natural or stained
- Weight 5kg / 11lbs
- Seat Height 46cm / 11"
- Seat Depth 40cm / 15.7"
- Seat Width 47cm / 18.5"
- Depth 61cm / 24"
- Height 78cm / 31"
- Width 52.2cm / 20.5"
When the German architect and designer Egon Eiermann (1904-1970) first made his name internationally at the Brussels World Exhibition with eight glass and steel pavilions created in collaboration with the Bauhaus architect Sep Ruf, he has already been on of the leading German architects. Before and during as well as after the war, he contributed to the construction of buildings of great importance for his country and his age. He became especially wellknown for the building of the new Gedächtnis-Kirche in Berlin, which became a symbol of West Berlin in the post-war years.
Egon Eiermann was a perfectionist to the smallest detail, and like several of his contemporary designers, he also created the interior for several of the buildings he constructed, including the furniture. Some of the early examples include the three-legged chair SE 42 from 1949, and the swivel chair SGB 197. His most important designs include the SE68 Muli purpose chair and not least the SE 18 Folding Chair, probably Eiermann’s most well-known chair ever, designed for the German producer Wilde + Spieth. The chair won The Good Design Award at the Museum of Modern Art in New York in 1953, and the silver medal at the Triennale in Milan in 1954. An obvious element of Eiermann’s view on design was the emphasis on both function and ergonomics, and he was uncompromising, when it came to finding the perfect form.
Wilde + Spieth
The story of Wilde + Spieth dates back to 1831 and since the very beginning the focus has been on long-lasting quality. That is how the collaboration with famous German architect Egon Eiermann came to be in the late 1940s when he collaborated closely with Wilde + Spieth to create a line of furniture items using steel and plywood that is still in production today. Quality in not taken for granted because quality is the sum of several equally important steps. To them, a chair is not just a chair, for instance, but an object that must adhere to human-scale values such as ergonomic requirements, tactile surfaces, natural materials and items that must keep an aligned balance between function and aesthetics. This is what makes quality design last a lifetime and can pass through generations - all this is what makes a true classic. Spare parts ensure that the design classics can be repaired and do not have to be thrown out. The wood that Wilde + Spieth use all originates from Germany and is processed at just outside the German town Brakel. For every tree used, a new tree is planted.